The #1 cause of stomach aches in kids
- Posted on Mar 22, 2019
Constipation is the #1 cause of stomach aches in kids. Here are some ways to help your kids stay regular:
- Stay hydrated – drink roughly half your body weight in fluid ounces of WATER!
- Fiber – give your kids fiber rich foods, like: legumes, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, peas, berries, avocados, and adding ground flaxseed.
- Avoid constipating foods – too much dairy is the leading trigger to constipation, too many bananas can also cause constipation
- Embrace fermented foods – studies show fermented foods, like sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, yogurt, etc full of pre and probiotics can help keep things moving
- Slow Down – sit down to a restful social meal with family, always being on the go and eating too quickly can lead to digestive distress
- Move your body – go for a walk or let your kids play on the playground, body movement can lead to gut movement (peristalsis)
- Supplement when necessary – whole foods are best, but if you have a picky eater, sometimes doing a fiber supplement, probiotic supplement, and use of miralax when backed-up can be helpful
Sarah Caudle, PA-C