7 Tips to Eat More Veggies
- Posted on Jan 10, 2018
1. Eat vegetables with every meal. Yes, even breakfast.
2. Gradually increase your serving size of vegetables. This helps your gut microbiota adjust to higher fiber intake, which makes it easier to digest large amounts of veggies.
3. Try wilted salads and lightly braised or sautéed greens, like spinach. They are heated for a very short time, but decrease greatly in volume, so easier to eat.
4. Add more veggies to soups, stews, and casseroles. Canned pumpkin or pureed cauliflower can be used as a thickener. You can even purée greens to add to soups and make them “disappear”.
5. Choose smoothies over juices. Lettuce and spinach are mild in flavor, so you can typically pack several into one smoothie.
6. Raw veggies like celery, carrots, bell peppers, and radishes make a great portable snack. Think of ways you can bring veggies “on the road” with you during your day.
7. Add veggies to dessert! Vegetable smoothies freeze into ice pops very well. Also look for recipes that use vegetable powders as flour alternatives for baking and treats.
Sarah Caudle, PA-C